Sunday 15 February 2015

Can an employer ask employees to lie and cheat as a part of job?

I met this young woman in Bangalore - Ernakulam Express. She is totally fucked up. She wasn't working anywhere for a while and the job she has got now is so screwed. A girl not working in a country like like India is very common in Indian towns and cities. In large towns and cities, I have saw women who just go to work to chat up with guys, pass time and to get money to spend lavishly on make up and stuff. But she isn't one of them. She is from a village where women work much harder than men. Anyway coming to her story, she is only daughter to her parents and she is the only earning member of family.

Panic button for helpShe lost her job in October and she couldn't look for a new job due to personal reasons. They are too personal and I do not want to mention them here. She was actually looking for an advice. Here is what she said about it:

"..... so I took a job in this company and in interview they said it is for technical support BPO. They also mentioned that there might be some sales involved like selling printers and other accessories. This was a call centre and I joined for a pilot batch. i.e., we are just getting started in this line of business. 

Once the job started I was asked to dial to people in USA and lie to them and cheat them. The call goes like: 

"I am calling from microsoft because I have received an error report from your computer and I have to remote access is to fix it." I have to convince them to give remote access, then I have to say that their PC has a huge issue due to third party even though it is fine, then charge them 100 to 600 USD. 

Sometimes the iOS users are targeted and they receive an ad on safari which redirects them to a page that says "iOS crashed, call the number 800-***-**** to fix and save your personal data." Once they call, it comes to us, we say they 've reached apple and we charge them $30 to $150 to save their contacts and photos being hacked. All we do is guide them to clear history and restart their iPhone. 



Slave workers
I hate this job, but if I have to quit I have to pay a month's salary or serve a month notice period. Please help. What can I do. Am I obliged to lie as a part of my job?
I have no clue about labour laws. Does the laws permit an employer to ask employees to lie and cheat, so they can make money.

When I asked around, they say employers can ask anything. I think that is wrong. I am an employee, not a slave. "



She is working in a company in Bangalore. If you have any advice for her, please leave it in comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment